Click Here to open and print the following discussion questions in document form.
THE THING ABOUT LEFTOVERS
1. Who was your favorite character and why?
2. Have you ever felt like you didn’t fit in? What did you do? How did you handle it?
2. Do you ever feel judged by your stuff–clothes, shoes, backpack, etc.? If so, how? And how does that make you feel?
3. Do you think it’s harder to have your family pulled apart by divorce, or smushed together into a blended family? Why?
4. Do you think step-parents are capable of loving step-kids as their own? Why or why not?
5. Do you think step-kids are capable of loving step-parents as their own? Why or why not?
6. Do you think kids who don’t consistently feel loved and accepted at home try harder to gain love and acceptance elsewhere? Why? How?
7. Why do you think Fizzy wants to win the Southern Living Cook Off so badly? Does she ultimately get what she really wants? If not, why not? If so, how?
8. Why do you think won’t Fizzy talk to her parents about what she’s feeling?
9. Why do you think Fizzy’s parents don’t ask more questions or push harder to find out what’s going on in Fizzy’s mind?
10. Do you think it’s best to be honest and direct with people about what you’re feeling or do you think it’s best to stay quiet and not make waves? Are there exceptions? When? With whom?
11. Has there ever been a time when things didn’t go the way you wanted them to and it seemed like a setback, but it turned out to be a blessing in the long run? Tell us about that.